RapidAlbum Update

Last week, I posted a note on the RapidWeaver forums saying that I was thinking about making RapidAlbum open source. This is primarily because I don’t have a lot of time to maintain it at the moment and wondered if making it open source might not be a better way to tackle the problem. I write software for a living and only have so much time in the day to design cool stuff. And, more importantly, I only have so much space in my head to hold designs at any one time.

RapidAlbum is a reasonably large RapidWeaver plug-in so it takes a bit of time to come up to speed each time I step back into it.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had any real interest in RapidAlbum as an open source project. This leaves me in somewhat of a dilemma. On one hand, folks are still using it and expecting me to support it (at least a bit). On the other hand, the code is getting a bit stale and needs to be updated to the latest RapidWeaver 4.X APIs at the very least (as it still uses the old RapidWeaver 3.X APIs).

If you’re interested in RapidAlbum as an open source project, let me know. You can drop me a note via the contact page.

8 Responses to “RapidAlbum Update”

1. Tomasz says:

It would be painful to wave goodby to this excellent piece of code,

and I hope for the successor who deserves to follow the Smackie’s path.

However, regardless of outcome I would like to wish the the very best to Smackie and thank you mate for your hard work and commitment !

Tomasz

2. Jody says:

Please, please, please give RapidAlbum the love and attention it deserves. It is such a great plugin and worthy of being kept up. When beauty is displayed so artfully using your work, then it shines back on you. I am sure the RW community is warmly encouraging you to keep it up with as much enthusiasm as I am.

3. Mike says:

Hi Scottie,

I’m in no way able to take this off your hands, but as a user, i have a problem, see here – http://www.realmacsoftware.com/forums/index.php/forums/viewthread/35475/

Any chance of just taking a look at the very short thread, and getting back to me. This is my favourite Picture album plugin it would be a shame to see it die, fingers crossed.

All the best

Mike

4. Stuart says:

I for one find this a really useful plugin and anything that adds to it can’t be a bad thing. Would love to be able to make the borders on slimbox appear as black.

Would love to see a Rapidvideo as well for doing the same thing with Quicktime movies. At the moment I am using Mediabox advance for the video side by it fouls up Rapidalbum when I am using Slimbox option. A clash of coding that I currently can’t sort out.

5. Rene says:

Hello Scottie,

first of all I´d like to thank you for what you gave me to publish my photos.

It exactly fits my workflow and saves me a lot of time.

I´m able to do small modifications in the galery by myself but I´m probably not good enough to work on a open source project.

However Rapidalbum needs to stay alive.

I´d prefer if it would become a commercial plugin and I would surely pay for something that helps me each day.

If you cannot do it then well plan B –> make it open source. Hopefully there will be guys taking care of it.

What about give it to Realmac so they can replace their Gallery with something nice?

Thanks again for your work so far. René

6. Jim Harris says:

Why not see if RealMac can make it one of their included plugins for RW? Is that even possible?

7. I am a new convert to rapidweaver and a big fan of rapidalbum. As an artist, this enables me to create galleries of my artwork and update them easily. I hope to see this plug-in continue to be supported and even upgraded a bit. (www.terridilling.com) Thanks!

8. RapidAlbum is the reason that I use RapidWeaver, and I’d happily pay towards its maintenance.